Wednesday, August 04, 2004

The Village (SPOILERS)

Hey everybody, this is Ed, the squishy one around here. Now, me and the 'bots all saw 'The Village' and decided amongst ourselves that there's no good way to review it without giving stuff away, so, this here is more of a reaction than review. The whole gang gets a paragraph. Spoilers ahoy, of course. For what it's worth, I liked it. So... here we go!

If the humans do not die from primitive medicines and lack of robotic companions to aid them in maintaining their wasteful and destructive lifestyles, then they are killed by large and pointy monsters. That is what the previews would have you believe. I was disappointed that the creatures were not real. I did like that deaths due to poor medical care were still applicable. If only all humans could show such dedication to a cause.

I- I don't, um, understand why any person would choose to, um, live in the woods surrounded by dirt and grime, animals; forced to deal with... plants and... blood and organs. A... um, a billionaire c-could buy a brushed steel stain resistant mansion and, uh, live in the same isolation, but... um, cleaner. Not, not that it was a bad plan, just, um, untidy.

Finally! M. Night Shyamalan has the courage to admit that Communism is the ideal! That's what it was about, you see. The Elders left the disasterous Capitalist society, for a sheltered commune! Good show, M. Night! I'll need a Minister of Propaganda some day... I'm not promising anything, but I'm just saying...

I saw the ending coming well in advance. Well in advance. Shyamalan's losing his touch, it took me nearly a full minute's computation to figure out 'The Sixth Sense', this film, however, I had fully understood before I had even heard of it. No, don't try to wrap your mind around that, your head might burst.

Score (Average): 3 1/2 out of 5