Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Harold and Kumar go to White Castle

Oh my. This, this movie is not nearly as unendurable as I had originally assumed it was going to be. It's good, actually. If you can get over the stigma of being associated with White Castle, the restaurant that would, ultimately, lead to the destruction of at least two major Earth continents. No, I'm not telling you which ones, giving spoilers is below me.

This little film is a basic example of the 'road trip' genre of movies. The specimens try to get from point A to point B, and there will be 'wacky' 'adventures' 'ensuing'. 'Hooray'.

The question of the hour is: just what makes watching Harold and Kumar more interesting than a pile of rats in a maze? Evidently, it's a funny movie. I don't register humor, of course. Humor is dependent on creating mental juxtaposition unexpectedly and I've made all the mental juxtapositions possible eons ago. Which is to say, eons from now. My first few days of existence were quite hilarious. I will admit that this film had ideas that traveled through some of the lesser-used paths on my neural net. So, yes, someone without a mind like mine might find it funny, and no one has a mind like mine.

The movie has an excellent pedigree: the stars have both been in well received comedies, and the director's work includes 'Dude Where's my Car?', it's sequel 'Seriously Dude, Where's my car?', and the critical failure 'A Whole Lot of Farting'. Don't worry, most of you won't live to see the last one. I was not so lucky.

I shall deign to give this movie a 4.49832 out of 5. The pacing's not as good as 'Dude', but it has the same spirit.